Day six egg update
Today marks day six of the current batch of Indian Runner duck eggs being incubated. It’s the first official day that we candle and weigh them, the results are below:
We weighed and logged the dud eggs too as I wondered whether they would lose the same amount of weight as a developing egg – they do. I’ve ordered the log below so that all the good eggs are first.
The dud eggs were removed with the exception of number 9 and 11. Number 11 was previously developing but looks to have given up. Number 9 looked like it wasn’t developing a few days ago, but looks like it has since. So to be sure I have left them in the incubator for now.
It now seems that we have three in the incubator and three with Snowy that are all progressing. Snowy is sitting tight and I really hope her work pays off. It will be amazing to see her as a mother hen!
I have marked all the good eggs as “GOOD” as they all seem to be at the same development stage whereas before three of them seemed more developed and were marked as “EXCELLENT”.
The eggs seem to have lost roughly 2g each, even Snowy’s, which means that Snowy must be keeping them at the same humidity as the incubator, I have added water to the bedding around her eggs a few times, just to give her a hand.
So it looks like we are down to 50% of the eggs, I’ve realised why people use big incubators and set lots of eggs. I expect there to be loss with eggs that have travelled through the post and the 5 that didn’t even seem to try may not have been fertilised.
Hold your nose
Today Snowy reminded us how terrible broody poops are! It amazes me how a broody hen can sit for so long, they stress their body with lack of exercise, food and water. But that once-a-day event really is unmistakable!
I keep meaning to write about the garden changes that we’re making. It’s not a massive plot but we’ve come up with a way to lay it out that allows us to use all the space to our advantage.
The left hand side of the garden has always been earmarked for the vegetable plot and that is still the plan.
The chicken run and coop is moving from the right side of the garden to the back. This makes use of a patch that doesn’t currently get much attention, it’s bare earth. The chickens have free range in this area at the moment. By moving the covered run and coop there, we make the best use of this area. It then frees up the area where their run currently is and we plan to put some play equipment for the kids there.
With the new layout the chickens will have a new big coop, probably one that we can walk into like a shed, for easier cleaning. They will also have their enclosed run like now which will have the facility to be closed off into two separate areas for isolation or integration purposes. Then as a bonus they will have an outside, fenced off area where the bushes are, they already hang out here and love to scratch about under the bushes and in the soil, so it’ll be perfect.
The downside is that I have a lot of digging and levelling to do before we can move the chickens. Look, I’ve started:
I’m planning to rebuild the run and coop with a couple of courses of bricks and then the timber frame on top. There’s a lot of work ahead of us but it will all start to fall into place quite quick once the groundwork is complete.
Today the hens were cautious around the spade but enjoyed lots of worms while I was digging.
I think we will be spending most of the day out there tomorrow, which should see some massive progress achieved.Comments 4 comments