Near enough done

Near enough done

It’s near enough done now!

What a job! Over the last couple of weeks we’ve finished the run and coop then moved the birds over.

All the walls complete

It stayed like this for a couple of days. I was working up until about 11pm and getting as much done as possible but always went to bed wishing I’d progressed further.

The structure of the coop and nestbox area

Next I put the weldmesh where required. This time I’ve used the 10mm hole version which has smaller holes than the last stuff which I think was 20mm.

Weld mesh

I also finished the coop. It has two doors, the left side is where the nest boxes are and has a solid wood floor. The right has a mesh floor and the perches.

We moved the roof over, which had to be made slightly longer, and then moved all the birds over into their respective sides.

I ran out of weld mesh so had to bodge some panels in place to block the holes temporarily.

The bodged front
Perches
The nest box moved over. I plan to build a new one that is accessed from outside

That evening the chickens wanted to get back to their usual coop. I put them inside the new one, on the perches, but they got down and made a racket. Eventually they decided to settle in the nest boxes.

We realised it was too light for them. The solution was to staple some weed-stop fabric onto the roof inside the coop to make it more cosy. By this time it was quite dark and they stayed on the perches when I moved them back.

Inside the coop with weed-stop as a ceiling
The hole where the door will eventually be

The second night they went into the coop but when I went to check, Star popped her head out…

Peek a boo!
…turns out they’d settled near the entrance
So I moved them to the perch

The third night onwards they go to bed on the perch. Success!

This is what the finished article looks like:

Quite happy with it
This is the outside run
The remains of the old chicken run

Theres still a fair amount of work to do, the shed needs to be built using the wood from the old chicken run. Then there’s more paving and tidying up to finish the rest of the garden.

Comments 4 comments

4 thoughts on “Near enough done

  1. What an amazing amount of work you have done. It all looks great. I think three nights is about the norm for girls to get used to a new bedtime routine so it has all gone really well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *