This is just a quick update – I’m conscious the blog has fell behind yet again.
We have had a nightmare.
First we found the red mites in the Eglu coop where Snowy, Poppy and Polo live. Presuming they came with Poppy and Polo. We got them under control with the help of Permethrin products.
A couple of days after my last post, so about two weeks ago now, I noticed that Polo was very lethargic, had gunky eyes and nostrils, oh no, our first poorly chicken. So I separated her into a crate in the shed.
A couple of days on and Poppy had the same symptoms, so I separated her into another crate, also in the shed.
A couple of days later I decided to take them to the vets, he didn’t really know what it was and prescribed some (very expensive) Tylan soluble, which was what I wanted, it seems to be the wonder drug for chickens.
Then another couple of days later, Snowy who was alone in her run, also came down with the same symptoms.
So the three of them have been having Tylan in the beak via a syringe and also in their drinking water for a week each, Snowy has just finished hers and they all do seem better.
Tonight I have just put Poppy and Polo back in with Snowy for the first time in about two weeks.
The three big ones have been fine throughout, no symptoms at all and everything normal.
It was quite stressful in the beginning, having three separate poorly chickens to look after.
Hopefully it is behind us now.
Comments 4 comments