First 2019 post – oops!
I’m going to try and cover a couple of months worth of stuff very briefly.
We’re getting quite a few eggs but not as much as in summer where they were all laying every day. Polo laid her first egg (bottom left in the pic below) which was quite small and then seemed to lay a few in succession but has slowed down again now.
Bedtime antics & merging the two flocks
Every night Polo would settle on top of the water bucket and I’d have to lift her into the coop with the others where she’d get comfortable and stay all night. Some nights she would be on top of the Eglu but seemed comfier on the water bucket.
So we made an obstruction using weld-mesh to try and stop her getting on the bucket, with a similar contraption on top of the Eglu coop (I haven’t got any pics – it’s not our proudest invention 😆 ). The first night we watched and she tried unsuccesfully to get to the bucket folowed by the Eglu and ultimately went and settled in the coop. This was amazing.
The following night I found her like this:
I had to modify the contraption which was succesful and she’s since been going in the coop everynight.
That was when it was Snowy, Poppy and Polo living in the Eglu. Since then I have moved Star in with them as I’d observed that she doesn’t pick on them but will join in if one of the other big ones does. Star has been in with them for a few weeks and all is well.
This is part of the plan to merge them all into one flock. Whenever possible I’ve been putting them all together and it’s definitely getting better but occasionally Belle or Zazu will pick on one of the Silkies and they all join in, even Star seems to despite being absolutely fine at other times. I’ll keep persisting.
I have even swapped the two flocks between the two seperate runs and coops so they are all familiar with both sides. One night they had all been together and I decided to let them all go to bed in the “big” coop. This worked and there was a bit of pecking, which Poppy took the brunt of. But in the morning they were all out and it looked to be OK until we saw a bit of rowdiness and decided to seperate them when we went out.
A bit worrying
On Saturday I tidied up some of the garden and started to take apart the framing of the old run so I can re-use the timber. While doing so I found a scrape mark on the timber of the door that leads into the small run. I don’t think this is something we have done and as it is on two seperate pieces of timber, effectively the frame and door, it has definitely happened in place.
It looks like something may have scraped at it while trying to get in which is a bit worrying. It looks like the marks I found where mice have been trying to get through a gap, but on a much larger scale. I have checked around the run and cannot find any other signs of attempted entry.
I have decided that the area to the right of the run, which is prepped to be a shed, will be the new coop. It has one course of blocks and a concrete base. I didn’t get as far as building the timber walls but that is what I’m working towards now, unless the weather turns again. I’ll build the walls and roof, make it very secure, and have a pop-hole door that leads to the little run. This is with a view to both flocks being merged and living in one coop. I’m also working on a new roll-away nestbox which will be in this coop and I’ll probably re-use the perches from the big coop. The floor will be covered with woodchips. It should be nice and easy to clean out and keep bug free!
Since we moved the chickens from the old run to the new one we haven’t had any cameras covering them. I am used to it now but it’s much better when we can check on them while away. Once the new coop is finished I will run electric and network cables so we can get it all back up and running.Comments 6 comments