This page is about Snowy our broody Silkie hen who is currently sat on some fertile Indian Runner duck eggs. I will update this as time passes.
We purchased six eggs and gave three to Snowy and put the other three in an incubator, just in case Snowy gives up.
I am going to use this page as both a log and also to prompt me to carry out the various stages of incubation like candling.
We have numbered each egg and logged the weights.
- 10/11/17 – Three eggs put under Snowy, three put in the incubator
- Egg weights: #1: 73g #2: 70g #3: 84g #4: 84g #5: 81g #6: 71g
- NOTES: Snowy seemed to accept the eggs, time will tell
- 14/11/17 – The last few days
- NOTES: The great news is that Snowy has accepted the eggs and is sitting on them day and night with just one break when we open the door in the morning. I hope they hatch for her after the dedication she has shown thus far.
- I candled one of Snowy’s eggs on impulse but failed to get the number. It’s developing!
- 15/11/17 – Candled the eggs!
- Candle results: #1: EXCELLENT #2: GOOD #3: NONE #4: NONE #5: EXCELLENT #6: EXCELLENT
- NOTES: Happy that all the eggs in the incubator are progressing, plus one of Snowy’s but it’s a shame that Snowy has the two duds.
- 17/11/17 – Candle and weigh eggs – find out if they are fertile and succesful
- Candle results: #1: PROGRESSING! #2: PROGRESSING! #5: PROGRESSING! #6: PROGRESSING!
- Egg weights: #1: 70g #2: 66g #5: 77g #6: 69g
- NOTES: Average weight is 72g and the ideal weight is 72.38g based on 14% weight loss. Perfect!
- 24/11/17 – Candle and weigh eggs
- Candle results: #1: Movement #2: Movement, bigger air sack #5: Movement #6: Movement
- Egg weights: #1: 67 #2: N/A #5: 75 #6: 67
- NOTES: Movement visible in all eggs when candled. Egg weights from the incubator show that humidity is perfect! Snowy’s egg has a larger air sack than the others.
- 01/11/17 – Candle and weigh eggs
- Candle results: #1: Movement #2: Movement #5: Lots of “whitespace” in the egg #6: Movement
- Egg weights: #1: 64 #2: N/A #5: 72 #6: 66
- NOTES: Egg #5 has a band of empty space along one side, I am unsure why. It looks to be under-developed compared to the other eggs.
- 06/11/17 – 2 days before hatch day. Time to increase humidity. Incubator will stop turning the eggs. Candle and weigh again
- Candle results: #1: TBC #2: TBC #5: TBC #6: TBC
- Egg weights: #1: TBC #2: TBC #5: TBC #6: TBC
- 08/12/17 – Hatch due day!