Loads of progress

Loads of progress

We’ve made loads of progress over the last few days

I’ve spent most of my spare time working on the new run and it’s really taking shape.

The plan is to get the run and coop finished, move the birds over and then use the wood from the old run to build the new shed.

View from the front
You can see where the door from the shed will be
The side where the coop and nestbox will be. The pop hole to the outside run is visible

The coop design needs to be finalised. Looking at the last pic, we’ve decided to have it raised across the whole run with the coop on the right and the nestbox on the left with an access hatch from outside. This will give them tonnes of room inside the coop without taking up floor space in the run. It’ll be easy enough to clean at waist height too.

Quite a bit to do but the end is in sight now!

Comments 4 comments
Building work progress

Building work progress

A very brief building work progress update

We’ve been cracking on and I’m happy with the progress. On Saturday I finished all the brickwork for the run and then mixed and poured a concrete base for the new storage shed.

Brickwork for the run all complete
This is where the shed will be

The shed will have a door into it from the front and then a door into the run. The idea is that we’ll swap shoes in the shed, before going into the chicken run which will incease biosecurity. Inside will be metal or plastic storage containers for the food and shelves for other stuff.

In the picture I’ve just put the last six blocks in location, I need to mix a final batch of mortar and lay them in place. I’ll do this when the chicken run is complete, stage 2 if you like.

This evening I started on the framing for the new run. The timber arrived early this morning as planned. I like this bit as it’s very quick to see progress.

We decided to slope the roof towards the front and have the guttering where it’s easily accessible for cleaning. The trees will drop lots of leaves onto the roof and I’m sure they’ll end up in the gutter.

The final pic shows what it’s going to look like. Exciting!

It’s great to see what it’ll look like
Comments 4 comments
A lot going on in the garden

A lot going on in the garden

There’s definitely a lot going on in the garden

I’ve been conscious that I’m not updating this blog much lately, looking in now the realisation hit that I have only posted two times since the ducklings hatched.  This is rubbish in contrast to the last hatch where I managed to post at least every couple of days, hopefully providing an interesting running account of their development.

Putting all that aside, the ducklings are now HUGE.  They’re a bit tamer and will eat from our hands when they want to, mostly if green’s are on offer.

They love leafy greens!

There’s definitely two females, which now have leg rings on, the other two are unknown at the moment.  It will be ideal if there are three female and one male.

We have mixed both flocks together a few times without much drama although it has been interesting to see some of the ducklings squaring up to the hens and warning them off.  The hens tend to retaliate with a warning peck to the beak which sends the ducklings scarpering.

One day we tried to keep them all in the run together with a view to merging them and hit the problem of the three big hens ganging up on Snowy so they are seperate again.  The new run will have two good size sections to allow seperate flocks, we need this now!  I think Snowy is ready to be apart from the ducklings and started laying again two days ago.  We don’t want to risk her getting beaten up with the big ones at the moment though.

After not much progress on the new run due to being side-tracked with various events I am now determined to push forwards.  Since the last post we have put in the second course of bricks around the rear section and have decided to do a third as we have enough blocks.

The second course of blocks
Beyond what will be the run is where the concrete base for the storage shed will be

This weekend I plan to lay the thrid course of blocks and lay the concrete base for the shed.  I have ordered the timber to build the new run which will be arriving next week, ideal as the mortar will be dry to allow me to continue, the wood work will come together quite quickly.  Once the new run is built we can move the birds over and the timber from the exisiting run will be used to build the shed.

We had a nice weekend break away in the caravan.  We were on a site next to the canal and a flock of seven ducklings came to see us while their mother duck stood in the distance watching.

Seven Mallard ducklings happily eating Cornflakes from my hand

Our planter boxes are now in full swing.  This is Sam and the girls department and I have no idea what is growing in them but they look very nice indeed, she’s doing an amazing job.

A mixture of lovely flowers in our planter boxes
I have no idea what these flowers are
Some are bigger than others
The great thing is that we can move the boxes around to balance out the taller flowers with the shorter ones

I have taken control of the veg plot and have planted carrots, peas, runner beans and cauliflower.  Some of them are just starting to visibly grow.  This is very exciting as I’ve wanted to have a go for years!

Thank you for reading.

Comments 4 comments